Sunday, February 01, 2009

Vancouver Spirit and Flesh Hook Pull



I just received some precious pictures from the hook pull that I did in August 2008 and it reminded Me that I hadn't blogged about it.

This was an exercise in patience, going with the flow and trusting that our hosts knew what they were doing. Thankfully, this was the case as it was a very very long day but worth every second.

For us, it was a drive across the border into Canada. The next morning we were up at 6am getting ready to take a couple of ferries to a mystical place called Salt Spring. After we landed, then it was about an hour wait for a dusty old van to come and get us and take us to the private property where the hook pull was happening.

There were some initial delays that could not be helped but once we got there, the crew was amazingly quick at getting stations set up for insertion of hooks into about 45 people. Additionally, you could have limes sutured into your back for the "ball dance".

I've asked the question "why limes?" and this is what I am told:

1. they have some nice weight to them
2. they are disposable once you are finished
3. they smell great when cut open in the middle of your pull

The space was literally a cliff overlooking the ocean. It was a beautifully warm, sunny day but our spot had some nice shade to it.

First we did a circle honoring the space and the pagan, wiccan, christian, etc spiritual beings to help us walk our path that day. Then we passed through the altar and were smudged before we walked into the ritual space.

I don't ever remember being that in touch with the beauty around Me but I was that day. I don't have the words to describe it. I had a choice to connect with a tree, a piece of driftwood, another person or three or to just feel the hooks and the limes as they rolled across My back.

I did all of these things. I cried, I laughed, I danced with a tree, I pulled----hard----on my hooked flesh, I sat quietly, I watched others, I smoked a cigar, I listened to the drummers who never stopped.

After about two hours it was time to have the hooks and the limes removed, to eat some protein and drink some water and head back in the dusty old van to the last ferry off the island and back to civilization. We were very different people on the way home. We connected with each other in a very unique way. Due to protecting other's identities, I can only post one or two pics of the experience. You will just have to trust Me on the report.....it was amazing.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home